Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Well that was unexpected...

Today I was gathering up the laundry to do, not my favorite task but it had to be done, when Leo suddenly came up to me in a panic. He kept going on and on about how the basement had a monster, and considering that's where our washer and dryer was he didn't want me going down there. I thought it was just a random tactic to get me to play with him, so I finished putting the clothes in the basket and played with him a while. He ended up falling asleep though, and once I had him in bed I grabbed the laundry basket to head downstairs. I managed to get down there though without any interruptions, though I regretted that when I got there.  

You know you always hear these stories for little kids about monsters being in the basement, to try and keep them from wandering where they could get hurt. I think only here that could actually be true, except the guy wasn't a monster..well..not really...As I was standing at the foot of the stairs I noticed a figure in the shadows standing up slowly before moving towards the light some. He wasn't human, of course there aren't really any humans on this planet so that was a bit obvious really.The man had bright silver eyes and skin black as the night, it looked like he was a living shadow actually with bright eyes and very old clothing. The way the man moved it was like he was very tired, whether it was physically or emotionally was hard to tell. I think really it was a mixture of both, considering what he said..

"Hello ma'am..I'm sorry to intrude, I didn't realize this house was occupied until last night.I've been moving from empty house to empty house, sticking to the basements to be out of anybody's way.." His voice was gentle but weary, truth was he reminded me a lot of how my Dad sounded at times which just made me want to hug him.

"It's alright, but why are you here?" I had to ask, I know now it probably should have been obvious but I was too shocked to realize it.

"Well ma'am, I'm homeless. Lost my home many years ago along with my wife. I've never really gotten back on my feet, I don't think I've ever found the strength to move on again. I'll be leaving later today though ma'am, I do not want to be a bother." He said quietly pain filling his eyes at the memory of his wife I assume. He looked so sad though, and it hurt to see him like that. I know its a bit silly but I have this habit of getting attached to people easily, I feel for them and want things to better for them.  So I said softly, "Don't worry about it..why don't you stay the night here? I need to talk to my husband about a few things real quick."  Before he had a chance to respond though I was up the stairs and finding Ellis, I needed to ask his permission about things first. I told him about what happened and how I felt about the man, he knew I typically have a good judgement of people getting attached to the misfits like our family had been made of..It took a bit of talking to him, but finally we agreed and both headed back downstairs.

The man was relaxing again, but immediately stood up to greet us. By the way he was acting, I had a feeling he thought he would get yelled at or thrown out immediately if not both. I stayed close to my husband though as I said softly, "You like our basement don't you?"

"Well..yes ma'am..its nice and doesn't have insulation problems like many I have seen lately.." he responded a bit confused.

"Then why don't you live here? We can bring you meals and such..its a big home after all, and when we get use to each other if you want to move to a bedroom upstairs we can see about doing that.." I didn't want to be rude, but I did have my sons safety to think about after all. The man looked bewildered at the offer, then almost seemed to tear up before saying, "Thank you..Thank you ma'am..I would like to stay down here..its pleasant and darker..I feel more comfortable in darker areas..thank you..I will do anything I can to help you, please let me help." Ellis and I got a few chairs and brought them downstairs so we could all talk comfortably, working out a living arrangement that was fair and still safe for all of us. During our talks we found out our new friend's name was Damien, and that he was 42 years old exactly. We found out other random things about him, but I'm not sure how much he would feel comfortable having me say on here. I'll ask him about it when I bring his supper down to him.

I believe I hear Leo waking up though, I have to explain to him about who Damien is and such. It should be interesting, we finally got him understanding that the 'monsters' on this planet are different from what we are use to but they can still be nice. Things will be okay though, it just takes time sometimes..

Remember, if you have questions or want to keep up with me go to my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/AStrangeWorldOfPurple . You can also follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TyraSummers1 .

No comments:

Post a Comment